Dabbing is a way of enjoying THC-rich weed concentrates. Using a dab rig is the most common way of smoking concentrates, but this method isn’t perfect for everyone. Whether you’re a beginner without a rig of your own, you’re caught without your rig, or you just want to try something new, you can always learn many methods how to smoke dabs without a rig. In fact, smoking dabs without a rig can expose you to fun new ways to enjoy your weed.
5 Different Methods Of How To Smoke Dabs Without A Rig
Explore five of the most popular methods to smoke dabs even if you don’t have a rig on hand.
The Knife Method
Hot knifing is a well-known and straightforward way to enjoy THC concentrates without a rig. So even if you’re a first-time dabber, you’re sure to enjoy yourself. Plus, it’s easy to do. Just gather these simple tools to get started.
- Two metal butter knives
- Plastic soda bottle
- Blowtorch or gas stove
- Empty your soda bottle and cut it in half. You only need the top of the bottle and can remove the cap. Once you’ve done this, place the bottle on a flat surface.
- Heat one knife with your blow torch or over the stove. Apply plenty of heat, or the knife won’t be hot enough.
- Use the cool knife to collect some concentrate and carefully place it on the heated blade. When the concentrate touches the hot knife, the heat will fully vaporize the wax.
- Use the top of the bottle to inhale the smoke. Put your mouth over the spout and place the open side over the knife, catching the vapour.
If you don’t have a soda bottle, you can use a funnel or straw. And if you only have one knife, you can use a fork or paper clip to put the concentrate onto the blade.
Hot knifing is easy to pull off, but it can be wasteful. Some of the vapour will disperse into the air around you and it can be hard to catch enough to smoke. Regardless, this is still one of the main ways of smoking dabs without a rig.
The Bowl Method
Another way how to smoke dabs without a rig is by using the bowl method. In this process, you’ll melt the concentrate in a bowl and inhale the vapours. Gather the following materials:
- Glass bowl (from a bong or bubbler)
- Metal dabber, knife, or another pointed metal tool
- Weed buds
Bowl Method Instructions
- Place some weed into the bowl and light it like normal.
- Use your dabber to add some concentrate to the bowl. If you don’t have a dabber, try using a knife or other metal tool. At this point, you can start smoking.
This is another easy way of how to smoke dabs without a rig. For the best experience, only fill your bowl halfway with weed. The bowl won’t go out like normal, so try to hit the bowl continuously so you don’t lose all the smoke. This method is ideal if you’re smoking with friends and can pass the bowl around quickly.
Rolling Paper Method
You can still learn to smoke dabs without a rig if you don’t have a bong or bubbler. If you can roll a joint, you can roll a dab. Other than your favourite concentrate, all you need are the following materials:
- Rolling papers,
- Marijuana Flower
Rolling Paper Instructions
- Place some dab directly on the rolling paper using a dabber or knife. Next, add your buds and roll up like usual.
- Another method is to add your cannabis flower and roll the joint first, then add your concentrate to the outside of the joint. This method works best if you’re using wax. Watching the wax burn can create a fun visual effect, but be careful of hot drips while you smoke.
A modern way of smoking dabs without a rig is to use a vape pen instead. Vaping isn’t as wasteful as some other methods because you can control the smoking rate better. However, you’ll taste the vape as well as the dab. It won’t taste horrible, but you should be aware of going in, so you’re not surprised.
To vape, all you need is a vape pen and RDA (Re-useable Drip Atomizer).
- Place your dab onto the heating coil and plug it into the RDA. If you prefer, you can add some flavour as well.
- Turn on your pen and vape like usual.
A healthstone or vapour stone is an excellent alternative to a rig. If you want to learn how to smoke dabs without a rig, this method can work with your current setup. You’ll need the following tools:
- Bong or glass bowl
- Blow torch
- Place your healthstone into your glass bowl or bong.
- Add some of your concentrates to the healthstone and heat it with a blow torch. If you don’t have a torch, don’t waste your time using a standard lighter. It can’t get hot enough. A gas stove will work if you have one. Apply heat until the concentrates start to vaporize.
- Inhale through the glass bowl or bong’s mouthpiece.
Healthstones are ceramic, so they don’t release any toxins when heated. However, make sure not to touch the healthstone after you heat it because it will burn you.
Where Can You Buy Cannabis Concentrates to Use?
A great place to start is Just Cannabis. You will find some of the highest quality weed concentrates on the market. Shop now and take advantage of the low prices and great deals.
- Christian Giroud, Miriangela Cesare and Bernard Favrat. E-Cigarettes: A Review of New Trends in Cannabis Use. Accessed April 15, 2021, at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4555324/
- Weed Delivery. (2021, September 3). Free 1 Hour Weed Delivery in Vancouver & Burnaby. Available at: https://weeddelivery.io/
- Paul T. Harrell and Thomas Eissenberg. Automated dripping devices for vapers: RDTA’s, bottomfeeders, squonk mods, dripboxes. Accessed April 15, 2021, at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5826899/
- NIDA. 2020. June 25. Marijuana Concentrates DrugFacts. Accessed April 15, 2021, at https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-concentrates